Fruit and vegetable gardens 2024

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Oh, between all the tomatoes under the center of the racks is bush beans. They all got a good start before the tomatoes start to shade them. Last year I only got one good flush then they petered out quick. Mostly black beans, but the upper two have some bush lima and dragons tongue.

Beans and field peas are gonne be the main food focus of the new garden. I am growing pumpkins and melons mainly for comppost and tor the grands to make jackolanterns. Then compost for them too ;) I'm planting all the random shit over there and may till a few little areas for some corn and okra. But mainly it will be heafily worked spots with the extra enriched soil making it mound higher, Then in fall I'll level it and get a good cover crop started and do it again next spring. Wash, rinse, repeat untill I have two awesome gardens that can grow whatever I want.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Poked some melon, cabbage, beets, radish, kale, broccoli, brussel sprouts, seeds in the beds.
sure ya did... 😂 I hate planting seeds over planting starts I already got going. Wait a week then see if anything didn't do right and try again. I have been getting almost daily rain showers so I haven't had to water a thing yet. But it makes planting stuff a mess. I have to wait until about noon if it's damp for stuff to dry out. would be perfect for seeds but I still need to broadfork those areas

NoWaistedSpace

PICK YOUR OWN
I dropped a little cash on a 4cuft bale of pitt moss to get a jump start on the mounds in my big garden. I already have a tarp full of heavily amended soil from outdoor pots, some forest gathered stuff, a tub of wom castings and an assortment of Down to Earth minerals. When the pitt moss shows up I do the big garden. For anyone getting into new territory trying to make soil - THIS!
View attachment 137328
It has a notched bottom so it carches and cuts roots instead of sliding off. Workably sharp but broad blade so it's not getting dull from use. I got a handheld version for potting the plants in worked soil.

Also pictured is a worm bin experiment sucess that will also get added to the mounds (for pumpkins corn and beans). I sifted five 5g buckets of rich wormy compost to get the sticks and major food bits out. I lazagna'd it in 6" layers with shredded cardboard. All on a plastic drip tray so no roots grow up in it. I added minerals and top dressing type stuff like malted barley, and have just kept it moist letting the worms do their thing. It is now half the volume with castings just dripping out the bottom. I'll get pics as I get all that garden together.

For now I have 30 tomatoes, 6, 6, 6, 6, 8 and 4. I left the back side of that upper rack empty for now. It might get more tomatoes or peppers. I have most of my bell peppers out, there's a rainbow of them from canary yellow to lilac purple around the boulder, a few at the ends of the upper racks, a regular Cal Wonder bell to the left of my dumb-asses shadow and a few more right above it where there was bare ground. T

That barren strip to the left was gonna be more garden but I put a fire pit there because there were already remnants - and I started getting into tons of melted broken glass. I took down a peach tree that didn't make peaches to the right of that raised bed thing so I'll expand the garden that way instead. As the peas play out fences will move and beans get planted. I've startes dumping yard clippings and mowed leaf litter around the outside where I'll be expanding.

I have 27 peppers left to put in the ground. I want this to be pasta sauce/salsa jungle. I am looking at each remaining pepper and seeing which stay small, and I'm planting a hedge of them up front. The chipmunks tear that area behind the pots up, but those mesh sacks are 100% so far. All the tomatoes have been in the ground since Sunday.
View attachment 137327
You're taking care of business.
Hell of a nice start to the season.
Are you standing on you roof? lol

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
You're taking care of business.
Hell of a nice start to the season.
Are you standing on you roof? lol
I have an extension ladder from back when I owned a 2 story house. Now it's a convenient roof-access for a one story. Not like anyone is gonna use it to break in to some second story window someone left open.

I actually use the pics for planning too. Like in the tents, sometimes you see stuff you missed in person.

NoWaistedSpace

PICK YOUR OWN
I have an extension ladder from back when I owned a 2 story house. Now it's a convenient roof-access for a one story. Not like anyone is gonna use it to break in to some second story window someone left open.

I actually use the pics for planning too. Like in the tents, sometimes you see stuff you missed in person.
I'm not placing "judgement" on your "garden monitoring" technique. Hell of a nice pic. if you ask me.
Ha! I'm planning on sticking my plants on the roof, in hopes of maybe keeping the "Wild Methalopes" from wiping my plants out overnight in times of drought. lol
They might take my aluminum roof at the same time. And the fucking ladder.

After taking a group of pics is "when" I notice stuff I wouldn't normally catch.
Has saved my ass more than once.
My onions are coming up and I transplanted a row of cucumbers, peppers, and 1/2 dozen tomato plants a few days ago.
I have 2 of each (Yellow and Red) Amish tomatoes still in 3gal squats.
I have a couple tomatoes on them, but they're a little older the others.
No sense taking pics of mud splashed vegetable plants,
so, I'm heading over and posting these little Skunk pics before I chop their heads off.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
Mine still look like dill. I planted one 6-cell out of 4 (when I realized they basically had no roots) and one or two survived. I'll have a stand there eventually and I'll forget I stuck them there.
old election sighs ,make great corrals for those times