Got a new light from Growdaddy - No Instructions?

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
Unhook it is all you need to do. Don't let the dimmer wires touch each other.
You will now have full power from the driver.
OK thanks. I emailed Peter at Growdaddy and he said i need to turn the dimmer up full, then adjust the built in dimmer on the driver down until the light goes full bright again.

PAR meters are WAY too expensive. I had no idea. I did or get a watt meter so I can tell how many watts are being drawn at the wall by the light.

NoWaistedSpace

PICK YOUR OWN
Buy you a "Kill a Watt" meter.
I have a PAR meter from Hyrdo Farm, it was around 100 bucks.
I think a PAR meter is an important thing to have when dealing with LED's and canopy height. A few inches makes a big different when dealing with the different types of lights, such as Led strips, QB, and COB lights.
Glad Peter got you lined out and did it work?

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
Buy you a "Kill a Watt" meter.
I have a PAR meter from Hyrdo Farm, it was around 100 bucks.
I think a PAR meter is an important thing to have when dealing with LED's and canopy height. A few inches makes a big different when dealing with the different types of lights, such as Led strips, QB, and COB lights.
Glad Peter got you lined out and did it work?
Light don’t come on for another hour and ten.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
OK thanks. I emailed Peter at Growdaddy and he said i need to turn the dimmer up full, then adjust the built in dimmer on the driver down until the light goes full bright again.

PAR meters are WAY too expensive. I had no idea. I did or get a watt meter so I can tell how many watts are being drawn at the wall by the light.
I followed Peter’s instructions and now I have full use of the dimmer. The light doesn’t get any brighter now, just the dimmer works as it should.

I have a watt meter showing up on Wednesday. It’ll be interesting to see how much the light draws from the wall. It is supposed to draw near 300. We’ll see.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Under 40 bucks. Hell of a deal for a PAR meter.
Because it's just a lux meter - still a good deal. Getting the extension probe is a good idea. I saved about $10 getting one without. If you can't see the numbers (usually you can) you have to hit 'hold' then tilt it so you can see.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
Because it's just a lux meter - still a good deal. Getting the extension probe is a good idea. I saved about $10 getting one without. If you can't see the numbers (usually you can) you have to hit 'hold' then tilt it so you can see.
What LUX reading do you get under your 4 strip?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
What LUX reading do you get under your 4 strip?
I keep mine in the 30k range for everything. In flower I'll have the light high enough to get them about 25k then I let them grow into it.

My tallest one grew to about 8" from the light before I raised the light a little and leveled out the canopy with with other plants. I saw no damage whatsoever but why chance it.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
My watt meter came in today.

I plugged the light in with the dimmer about 3/4’s up (where I have been running the light since I put it in the tent) and it was drawing just over 200 watts.

With the dimmer cranked all the way up, it was drawing just over 290 watts.

For the LED experts out there, with the light about 20-22” from the canopy, should I be running more watts or less? Or should I lower the light and run less watts? Or more?

This is only the start of the third light cycle under the new light, and I’ve lowered it a couple inches each day, and now You m at 20-22”.

What do you guys think? I don’t want to fry the plants, but also want them to have as much light as they can handle.

Last edited:

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Are the plants in veg or flower? I usually start my lights at about 20” from the plants running at 50% during early veg. I try to keep my lights 18” - 20” from the plants at all times but I don’t worry too much if they have to get closer later in flower. Then I ramp the brightness up a little, weekly, so I get to 100% when they flip to flower.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
Are the plants in veg or flower? I usually start my lights at about 20” from the plants running at 50% during early veg. I try to keep my lights 18” - 20” from the plants at all times but I don’t worry too much if they have to get closer later in flower. Then I ramp the brightness up a little, weekly, so I get to 100% when they flip to flower.
They are at day 14 of 12:12.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
How many watts does your light pull?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I run mine at about 75% power always. Every time you up the wattage you change the environment a little. I'd rather have the environment dialed in and constant. I'm sure it's not the most efficient, but it's damn sure easy ;)