High Dollar Seeds

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
The price usually has to do with the rarity of the strain and the reputation of the breeder. There are plenty of cheep seeds that are high in THC but the less experience the breeder or chucker has, the less consistency you will find in the seeds.

I also think it’s pointless to spend money on high dollar seeds unless you have growing, drying, and curing down.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The price usually has to do with the rarity of the strain and the reputation of the breeder. There are plenty of cheep seeds that are high in THC but the less experience the breeder or chucker has, the less consistency you will find in the seeds.

I also think it’s pointless to spend money on high dollar seeds unless you have growing, drying, and curing down.
I agree with all but the last. We mostly all started wit a bagseed. What is gonna most likely herm and make you think you fucked up even if you didn't? A bagseed. Or a cheap pack from an unknown breeder

I would say your first pack should be feminized to save the m/f learning curve for later. Lots of the more reputable breeders are doing short-packs now. 5-6-regs, 3-fems, etc.

A more reliable bean that you know you will likely fuck up is better in my opinion, but with good genetics you might get lucky on the first run.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I agree with all but the last. We mostly all started wit a bagseed. What is gonna most likely herm and make you think you fucked up even if you didn't? A bagseed. Or a cheap pack from an unknown breeder

I would say your first pack should be feminized to save the m/f learning curve for later. Lots of the more reputable breeders are doing short-packs now. 5-6-regs, 3-fems, etc.

A more reliable bean that you know you will likely fuck up is better in my opinion, but with good genetics you might get lucky on the first run.
When I'm talking "high dollar seeds" I'm talking more than $10/seed

BGSmith

Thanks for the replies, and I don't mean to exasperate anyone, but let me frame the question more precisely:

Understood. So let's assume the grower is skillful in those areas. Will a $250 pack of IHG seeds, for instance, guarantee a substantially more potent and better quality effect than a $50 pack of Hazeman, for instance? If not, what justifies the price to those buyers in your opinions. Thanks.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Thanks for the replies, and I don't mean to exasperate anyone, but let me frame the question more precisely:

Understood. So let's assume the grower is skillful in those areas. Will a $250 pack of IHG seeds, for instance, guarantee a substantially more potent and better quality effect than a $50 pack of Hazeman, for instance? If not, what justifies the price to those buyers in your opinions. Thanks.
I don’t know enough about hazeman to comment on that but I know while IHG has some nice stuff, you can still find plenty of complaints about his seeds, too. IMO, the justification of the price is the reputation and experience of the breeder and not necessarily the potency of the cultivars they sell.

PuffTheMagic

Super Active Member
Personally, I wouldn't buy seeds from any of the seedbanks. Buy direct from the breeder, either their own website or on IG if that is where they are slinging their seeds. But to your IHG vs Hazeman comment... it really depends on the seeds. Is that IHG pack that you are referring to an inhouse IBL that they have worked for a few years where all the plants grow identical or is it just a random F1 with popular names? In the end, you really need make up your own mind. There are some oldschool strains that I would love to have in my collection that I would be willing to pay more for than the latest cookies cross. But if you are in this forum, you really don't need to pay for random F1s. Plenty of people want their chucks tested ;)

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails

OK - this sounds like the guy going into the dispo and asking "What has the highest THC?"

If you like stuff that is instagram-lovely and hyped then the dollars are gonna get you the likes. If you look at it relatively, compare the per-bean price to an ounce of weed. A shitty grower can get an ounce from a bean. A good grower can get a fat harvest perpetually. An exceptional grower can start a company - so what is that bean worth?

It's a game. If you never bought weed in the 80's then you don't get it. You spent that money on weed to find out later if it was worth it. Nothing different now. If a breeder is able to keep them high those prices are usually based on reputation and quality. You didn't go back to the dealer that sold you ragweed.

There are a few that are full-on hype, and if you're still buying genetics from across the pond you are already losing the game unless you are buying landrace from some isolated country or other. You can spend all the money you want on breeders over here and reliably get the beans without going through customs. I think the question itself is too open-ended.

PuffTheMagic

Super Active Member
Another factor is the hundreds of different cannabis cups. People with cup wins raise prices. Those contests pretty much can't be judged on effect. It's all about look smell and taste.
But then you have to remember that most of those cup winning plants are clone only and if you are getting reg beans that have that name they are not gonna necessarily grow the same or look the same. Shit, you could have the best genetics in the world and if your grow skills suck the bud is not going to be up to par.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
But then you have to remember that most of those cup winning plants are clone only and if you are getting reg beans that have that name they are not gonna necessarily grow the same or look the same. Shit, you could have the best genetics in the world and if your grow skills suck the bud is not going to be up to par.
Same goes for if you don't know how to properly dry and cure. It's like buying a really expensive cut of beef while having no cooking skills.

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
80% of American genetics are chemdog bottlenecks AKA Grateful Dead Show bag seeds folded back on themselves because the chucker thought the names sounded cool together. It's stronger than a classic hybrid and the terpene profiles are crazy but herms & mutations are also part of the package. In comparison, European strains are really consistent and stable but for the most part, suck and taste like hay. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Still, a shame that people with very little knowledge about plants, in general, can do a chuck in their basement and charge $70 a pack. "Unicorn Poptart Bitchslap" for $300 a pack shit is nonsense.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2835

80% of American genetics are chemdog bottlenecks AKA Grateful Dead Show bag seeds folded back on themselves because the chucker thought the names sounded cool together. It's stronger than a classic hybrid and the terpene profiles are crazy but herms & mutations are also part of the package. In comparison, European strains are really consistent and stable but for the most part, suck and taste like hay. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Still, a shame that people with very little knowledge about plants, in general, can do a chuck in their basement and charge $70 a pack. "Unicorn Poptart Bitchslap" for $300 a pack shit is nonsense.
That's why I use T.H.Seeds exclusively. Stability is there and they have some very terpy and high THC strains. They're one of the oldest breeders out there not many have been in the game as long as them. That alone should tell you something.