The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I heard the wrens out back going apeshit and thought maybe the woodchuck was back. I gave the garden a quick scan and saw this. It wasn't until I saw the pic that I noticed the rest of the snake a few feet away. Tthe birds chirped the whole time I was out there until she left.
IMG_9673.JPG
I went out to get better pics and followed until she hit the brush pile.
IMG_9674.JPG
I go a little close and she started swaying back and forth over the rock. Not a drastic aggressive thing, just a little each way but enough to know I reached the edge of the comfort zone.
IMG_9676.JPG
I guess the wrens serve another purpose. I love non poisonous snakes, but I don't think they'd be too nice if I stepped on one.
IMG_9678.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Looks like you're on the way to establishing a nice habitat vato.
I am seeing so many varieties of birds it's crazy. When you don't kill the bugs with pesticides stuff shows up to eat them.

I have about 20 "weeds" flowering right now, and I have herbs popping up randomly around the garden from last year.

That little plant saucer by the rock is a great monitor for if the garden needs watering. If it evaporates I need to hit the sprinklers that night. But the birds obviously love it - wasps too.

One thing I realized is that buying bird seed to attract birds is a great start, but the right environment and they'll stay. The birds that populate feeders are ot the ones I care about. There are about 5 kinds that eat bugs and clean up the garden and ground that I see hopping and pecking on the regular. The brown thrush is a beautiful bird and it loves the cardboard walkways to pick at. I think there are several different kinds of wren, mourning doves, robins, and some bird that looks like a robin on steroids. It's smaller but chunky and has the same colors.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I am seeing so many varieties of birds it's crazy. When you don't kill the bugs with pesticides stuff shows up to eat them.

I have about 20 "weeds" flowering right now, and I have herbs popping up randomly around the garden from last year.

That little plant saucer by the rock is a great monitor for if the garden needs watering. If it evaporates I need to hit the sprinklers that night. But the birds obviously love it - wasps too.

One thing I realized is that buying bird seed to attract birds is a great start, but the right environment and they'll stay. The birds that populate feeders are ot the ones I care about. There are about 5 kinds that eat bugs and clean up the garden and ground that I see hopping and pecking on the regular. The brown thrush is a beautiful bird and it loves the cardboard walkways to pick at. I think there are several different kinds of wren, mourning doves, robins, and some bird that looks like a robin on steroids. It's smaller but chunky and has the same colors.
We have tons of birds here and we love them. The barn swallows get shit all over the barn but we love having them so much that we don't care. We've learned over the years just t o make sure we don't put anything that isn't covered under where they nest. When I mow the lawn they come out and swoop in front of the mower to eat the bugs that fly up out of the grass.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have a seven pot brain strain going, love my seven pot peppers. The mexicans I know hate them TOO HOT for them. Now my dental assistant is from the Caribbean and she loves them.
Never tried any, but this one was advertised to have flavor as well as heat. If nothing else you dry and powder it and only use small amounts in big pots of food ;)

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
We have tons of birds here and we love them. The barn swallows get shit all over the barn but we love having them so much that we don't care. We've learned over the years just t o make sure we don't put anything that isn't covered under where they nest. When I mow the lawn they come out and swoop in front of the mower to eat the bugs that fly up out of the grass.
The wrens have to get past me to get to the nest if I am on the porch, and with the little ones they get brave, but one is always about 10' away chirping like mad letting the other know the giant is till there... it'll be cool if the babies get used to me or at leat hang around so there's a bigger flock.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
The wrens have to get past me to get to the nest if I am on the porch, and with the little ones they get brave, but one is always about 10' away chirping like mad letting the other know the giant is till there... it'll be cool if the babies get used to me or at leat hang around so there's a bigger flock.
the wrens and blue birds think they are 3/4 chicken hawk ;) ,if i remeber right they like a 200ft radis main turf!the wrens like the garden bugs i have a nesting boxes for each the blues will eat his weight in skeeters every two days, just pick placement of nesting boxes each haveing its owne area!

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
the wrens and blue birds think they are 3/4 chicken hawk ;) ,if i remeber right they like a 200ft radis main turf!the wrens like the garden bugs i have a nesting boxes for each the blues will eat his weight in skeeters every two days, just pick placement of nesting boxes each haveing its owne area!
What I read said 25ft for the wrens so next year or after these fly the nest I'll rearrange stuff. I grew those gourds mainly for the biomass of the vines. They were the only thing that grew- no pumpkins or melons made it. I got 7 gourds and 6 dried without rotting. I have a volunteer in the compost pile that is likely a birdhouse gourd just because nothing else grew, and after cleaning out the insides and saving the seeds I am sure any that fell out made it to the compost pile with the rest of the innerds.

Weedkiller

Dazed and confused
I also have the two CLHP x Chemdog Special Reserve crosses in the closet and a decent amount of them left to hunt through if they pan out.

I definitely got two drastically different versions - neither have that sour hashplant smell though but it's the high that matters.

The Dirty Taxi taught me not to base everything on the smell. The one I am almost out of has a very mild chemical smell, something you'd pass over for something louder - which would be almost anything. But a pinch in a one-hitter and you're fucked upper than a football bat. I heard on one of the youtube shows that other people have the same opinion on the high so I don't think I missed a unicorn or anything.
Lol when I read dirty taxi I picture bill Murray and buster Poindexter i that movie scrooged lol

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
As far as the wrens go, I never thought about them as being mostuito eaters but it makes sense. I know they eat beetles - any kind. I had an evening where I saw a dozen or so beetles flying inand crawling by the back door. By the time the sun was up there was nothing but the little shell-wing things laying around. I just watched one destroy a beetle like a woodpecker attacks a tree.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
As far as the wrens go, I never thought about them as being mostuito eaters but it makes sense. I know they eat beetles - any kind. I had an evening where I saw a dozen or so beetles flying inand crawling by the back door. By the time the sun was up there was nothing but the little shell-wing things laying around. I just watched one destroy a beetle like a woodpecker attacks a tree.
3/4 chicken hawk

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I'll have pics later but wanted to make a note. The little 60-day Chemdog limbs were dry enough to smoke on so I bucked them and reduced the top nugs to their least common denominator in case it wasn't dry enough.

I ground up the tiny bits and it is potent. So that part probably stands up to the story that it tests higher early - but it isn't that same all-encompasing high. It's really good and would probably fuck up some peoples day if they weren't hard smokers, but I'll be letting my plants finish thank you LOL

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
It's not hard to tell when the mantis hatch as long as you look. I had to drop everything and I put a few in each tent then put the rest in the garden under a wire basket that they can get out of but birds can't get in. After that they're on their own.
IMG_9694.JPG
I don't know if they'll stay alive in the tents but they were part of the package and it's fun to watch things like that, like "where's waldo?".
IMG_9695.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The Frosty MacFish clones showed roots so they got cups - now i just a wait and see iff they re-veg. The Dirty Daxi look 1 for 3 which sucks since they are all different plants. But the mom's look very similar so maybe it's the one that clones easier I end up wanting to keep. Pretty sure they'll eventually put out good growth from a node but the tops look trashed.
IMG_9691.JPG
But I have these that haven't died in 5 days so I'll have them eventually - positive thinking. The two Dog clones are obviously different
IMG_9692.JPG
The Dominion G are down to two most likely - looks like it hit a dead end
IMG_9696.JPG
The Hollyweed and the Greenway fems are looking great
IMG_9697.JPG
And the Chemdog mom is healthy as ever. As soon as I snipped those lower fans the ones on the limbs exploded.
IMG_9698.JPG