The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Alrighty! Pressure is off. Win or lose my contest is done. Now it's just about smoke.
The closet lost a 7g and gained two 5g and extra soil surface area. always good. This is the 3x3 with no real height limit. The purple one has a few random pistils popping but is mostly done - maybe a week. The green one has at least two weeks to go.

I think the loss of the photosynthetic properties of the chlorophyl in the green leaf rushes the ripening/senescence. So...
Purple weed finishes quicker. Soo...
That gives credence to the green pheno's usually being more potent in a strain with both.
It gets to live longer and make more/better goodies!
IMG_8470.JPG
The other two contesters are similar, one close, one not.
IMG_8468.JPG
In here the WNBA chicks got booted so there's room to spread out. I got a high chair for the headline to get her better light. So tempted to take a flower clone and might have if I had a dome already going - but it gives me an excuse to drop another one. That's the "first empty jar" weed.
IMG_8487.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Looking beautiful vato,
The Raspberry Boogie in the center with the purple in the leaves has features like the first girl I grew (#6) and the flowers were a really pretty purple/magenta.
All the Boogies are starting to smell now, and the purple one is the least pungent :LOL: When I grew those CLG testers and had one dark purple and one lavender plant I was so impressed by the colors that I probably didn't give the green ones a real chance. I bet you did the same - "weed can do this??? No WAY!!!" and after that the grean one beside it was a sidenote.

I don't get raspberry, but I get where people would get raspberry. It's like a sour, fermented berry smell but not wine yet. Over-ripe fruit juice maybe. This is a profile I have seen before in the Momma Moonshine I ran and I the smoke was great.

I think that with weed there's nothing new under the sun. One of the breeders on a podcast was talking about the new smells. Someone says "wow, smell this _____" [insert sparkly new strain]. "Yeah, that's a pheno we used to get out of thai" or whatever. I can pick out similar profiles in a lot of things.

In my relatively short time growing I have popped over 250 strains, and smoked more than half that with the duds and dudes that went with the drops. It's how I refined what I am looking for in seeds to grow. I found out from growing them that I just didn't like anything Rasta Jeff hit with that Arise male. Found out later that it was a very hazy plant with the racy type high and I already know I don't like that. So it just confirmed it. I culled the hell out of my seedbank and still have about 170 strains to run, with 40 of those being fems, and god knows how many beans in that group that are guaranteed girls.

I'm looking at the sack of Chemdog and Headline down to 2 nugs each. I have the Headline in mid-flower, and I have the Chemdog a month old and as soon as I can get a few clones I flip what's left. So that one is also in progress. I would have already had another jar of Chem91 but I had several duds. But mentioning it got me a free pack so we move on. I have the one now I'll run clones of for a bit while I sort out whether or not to keep long term moms. I have two packs of the Headline [over 2 dozen fems] so I am dropping a few next round and I'll take clones of those too. hose are two that if I get a lot of I know it will be put to good use.

But after all the strains there's two. Everything else I am happy to keep growing randomly and take what I find enjoy or cull, whatever. But finding the meds that work is what makes me think "mom" even though I have lots of beans to pop. CLHP is the third, and I'll keep trying on those. I have that CLHP x Chem cross coming from Dagga so I'll see if she's hiding in there maybe.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I need to keep busy and the cloning thing needs to be reay to go. I am going to fire up the 100w tent and set a dome in there and start some beans. I am thinking about an assortment of the tiny plants that I want to try in the low-wattage setting. Then a few I know I want to clone that will veg a while. It's looking like the Lemon Tree, Catpiss, and Cherrywest for the slow ones, then a few Headline and CLHP to fill the dome.

The Headline because I want a few phenos at once, and the CLHP because I want a few chances at germ. I still hesitate to pop more than I have room to keep in case there's no germ issues with the next pack. I just think I had a storage hiccup at some point, or I ordered them in mid summer and they got cooked in the mailbox. 🤷‍♂️

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Method to my madness is that I have a large propagator dome that holds 15 cups securely in little cup-holders for Bonnie plants starter pots at the big box store.

I'll do 3 each of the Lemon Tree, Catpiss, and Cherrywest regs that will be slow low wattage like the Deep Chunk at least until I sex them.
For the fems I have 6 slots so I'm doing 2 Headline to get 2 sets of clones and 2 CLHP to hopefully get a germination and obviously a mom plant.
Then one Muttzarella (Chem91 x UK Cheese) and one Blue Nose Pit both from CSI.

The BNP is West Coast Dog x Bubba Kush and I know NSpecta's Bubba is a tiny plant. I think low light is the right answer for those too.
I have it figured out and the water is warming on the heat mat, but I like to just wait until lights on to drop seeds. By the time i wake up the next day they've had 12hrs and I can start getting cups of soil ready to take beans if I see tails. The next days light's on is 24hrs if they stay in that long. It's just easy to keep track of.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
I need to keep busy and the cloning thing needs to be reay to go. I am going to fire up the 100w tent and set a dome in there and start some beans. I am thinking about an assortment of the tiny plants that I want to try in the low-wattage setting. Then a few I know I want to clone that will veg a while. It's looking like the Lemon Tree, Catpiss, and Cherrywest for the slow ones, then a few Headline and CLHP to fill the dome.

The Headline because I want a few phenos at once, and the CLHP because I want a few chances at germ. I still hesitate to pop more than I have room to keep in case there's no germ issues with the next pack. I just think I had a storage hiccup at some point, or I ordered them in mid summer and they got cooked in the mailbox. 🤷‍♂️
i know ive did that not thinking about the hot box getting here!this year i've only lost 1 30.00 fridge , no down time on replacement had 1 on hand!

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
Didja happen to notice the assorted BOULDERS in the pictures??? You come dig the trenches. I'm building up from gound level LOL
that is going take a lot of terraces to be workable.smaller boulders to build walls?

Last edited:

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
All the Boogies are starting to smell now, and the purple one is the least pungent :LOL: When I grew those CLG testers and had one dark purple and one lavender plant I was so impressed by the colors that I probably didn't give the green ones a real chance. I bet you did the same - "weed can do this??? No WAY!!!" and after that the grean one beside it was a sidenote.

I don't get raspberry, but I get where people would get raspberry. It's like a sour, fermented berry smell but not wine yet. Over-ripe fruit juice maybe. This is a profile I have seen before in the Momma Moonshine I ran and I the smoke was great.

I think that with weed there's nothing new under the sun. One of the breeders on a podcast was talking about the new smells. Someone says "wow, smell this _____" [insert sparkly new strain]. "Yeah, that's a pheno we used to get out of thai" or whatever. I can pick out similar profiles in a lot of things.

In my relatively short time growing I have popped over 250 strains, and smoked more than half that with the duds and dudes that went with the drops. It's how I refined what I am looking for in seeds to grow. I found out from growing them that I just didn't like anything Rasta Jeff hit with that Arise male. Found out later that it was a very hazy plant with the racy type high and I already know I don't like that. So it just confirmed it. I culled the hell out of my seedbank and still have about 170 strains to run, with 40 of those being fems, and god knows how many beans in that group that are guaranteed girls.

I'm looking at the sack of Chemdog and Headline down to 2 nugs each. I have the Headline in mid-flower, and I have the Chemdog a month old and as soon as I can get a few clones I flip what's left. So that one is also in progress. I would have already had another jar of Chem91 but I had several duds. But mentioning it got me a free pack so we move on. I have the one now I'll run clones of for a bit while I sort out whether or not to keep long term moms. I have two packs of the Headline [over 2 dozen fems] so I am dropping a few next round and I'll take clones of those too. hose are two that if I get a lot of I know it will be put to good use.

But after all the strains there's two. Everything else I am happy to keep growing randomly and take what I find enjoy or cull, whatever. But finding the meds that work is what makes me think "mom" even though I have lots of beans to pop. CLHP is the third, and I'll keep trying on those. I have that CLHP x Chem cross coming from Dagga so I'll see if she's hiding in there maybe.
@H.A.F. what are you going to do with the beans you don't think you want in cold storage?

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
I already donated about half my collection to charity. Now that I know what I like the only stuff I'm likely to get that is not is the odd freebie and such. Cold storage is just a mini fridge set at 60f. There's room for more LOL
@H.A.F. mine is @ 40f would this be part of my germanation problems?hope whom ever gets them has fun in the jungle!

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
@H.A.F. mine is @ 40f would this be part of my germanation problems?hope whom ever gets them has fun in the jungle!
I have a itty-bitty dedicated seed fridge. I have a list of what is in it, and it only gets opened once a month for me to grab the next drop, or to put new seeds in. Having it set at 60F for me is just halfway in between room temp and the fridge. If I lose power there's not gonna be a drastic temp change.

In the regular fridge even in a sealed container with dessicant, the constant change from opening the door can cause condensation in the individual seed packs. I had mine stored in the regular fridge originally in a pellican case with lots of dessicant. Still might be why my CLHP are shit germ right now. It might be seed specific which ones are effected - who knows.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have a super-tiny countertop "humidore" fridge. The containers inside are only 10" x 12" and 4" high. They are lock'n'seal containers and there's a bunch of rice in each box. I only care about the fridge temp, and maintain the dry part inside the containers. There's one in the little drawer with the fems, then the tops shelf regs and super cool freebies, Then the other freebie or less valued packs, like ones I already tried and need to hunt through to see if the first was just an off pheno. The little box is all 707 gear. Shawn puts the sticker on each disc-pack that has the strain name, so you don't have to keep the big mylar. room for pressed rosin too.
IMG_8491.JPG IMG_8492.JPG
I store my flower at the same temp. It's a wine fridge instead of a dorm fridge so there's no little freezer part to fuck things up. And those wine nerds are snobby about storage. Cigar people are snobs too, so both fit into the weed-snob scenario ;). Main difference is the containers are bigger, and I tossed a few of the big 62% packs in each. Storing in the terp bags has been great so far. I have some from August that is still primo smoke, but it does get pressed a bit more than in jars. But if you seal the bags with a little air in them it won't crush anything. For storage space, and the fact that I don't care what it looks like it's perfect. Being set at only 60 and not being opened constantly they cost nothing in electricity.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Haven't updated stuff in a bit except the contest page. Nothing to see on the new drop except the two Headline and Muttzarella are already up. In veg I have the Bombthreat and Chemdog in the center, then the pairs of plants are mostly obvious. The Sherbet is top left, then the rest are pairs.
The Comet Fuel are in the back and have a short and a tall version. The other three sets could be twins. Frosty MACFish on the left, Catpiss Kush front and center, and the Potions on the right.
IMG_8570.JPG
These have stopped stretching an are starting to make flowers.
IMG_8571.JPG
And these have the flowers made waiting on ripeness. The two contest plants up front are just past 8 weeks, the Boogies are at 6 weeks and the back two match the other younger tent. Hard to make out but it's the two Top Dawg plants. JD Skunk and Dirty Taxi.
IMG_8574.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I listen to the old podcasts to learn stuff I probably missed the first time. Old one about the Moon Mountain Kush x Headband fem tester I got to grow out from Freeborn. I have 8 of those left. Turns out he got the reversed pollen from Skunktek, and it's the same 707 Headband I love in the Headline and hopefully the Headlights.

The first one I grew out was a little on the sweeter side but it was time-fuck weed. You have to look at the clock, then out the window to know that actual time it is LOL

I have one more of the Headline in mid flower with the Headlights, then two of the Headline already above ground and healthy in the latest drop. After I find out if I like the NL5 Haze cross (Headlights) I'll run a few more of each to find a keeper.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
I have a super-tiny countertop "humidore" fridge. The containers inside are only 10" x 12" and 4" high. They are lock'n'seal containers and there's a bunch of rice in each box. I only care about the fridge temp, and maintain the dry part inside the containers. There's one in the little drawer with the fems, then the tops shelf regs and super cool freebies, Then the other freebie or less valued packs, like ones I already tried and need to hunt through to see if the first was just an off pheno. The little box is all 707 gear. Shawn puts the sticker on each disc-pack that has the strain name, so you don't have to keep the big mylar. room for pressed rosin too.
View attachment 134968 View attachment 134969
I store my flower at the same temp. It's a wine fridge instead of a dorm fridge so there's no little freezer part to fuck things up. And those wine nerds are snobby about storage. Cigar people are snobs too, so both fit into the weed-snob scenario ;). Main difference is the containers are bigger, and I tossed a few of the big 62% packs in each. Storing in the terp bags has been great so far. I have some from August that is still primo smoke, but it does get pressed a bit more than in jars. But if you seal the bags with a little air in them it won't crush anything. For storage space, and the fact that I don't care what it looks like it's perfect. Being set at only 60 and not being opened constantly they cost nothing in electricity.
cool looking setup@H.A.F.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
I listen to the old podcasts to learn stuff I probably missed the first time. Old one about the Moon Mountain Kush x Headband fem tester I got to grow out from Freeborn. I have 8 of those left. Turns out he got the reversed pollen from Skunktek, and it's the same 707 Headband I love in the Headline and hopefully the Headlights.

The first one I grew out was a little on the sweeter side but it was time-fuck weed. You have to look at the clock, then out the window to know that actual time it is LOL

I have one more of the Headline in mid flower with the Headlights, then two of the Headline already above ground and healthy in the latest drop. After I find out if I like the NL5 Haze cross (Headlights) I'll run a few more of each to find a keeper.
that good? i'll wait till you get to smoke report

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
that good? i'll wait till you get to smoke report
The Headline is so good I immediately bought the last pack on the site. Each was a fem 10-pack with 13-15 beans. I got the NL5 Haze cross by mistake but that was made good so now I have both. I have smoked almost all of the first Headline, treasuring those last two tops but I'll smoke them before they get too old. I have the one in mid flower that I let get a little bigger before flip. I was debating taking a flower clone off her, but dropped a few more beans instead. Veg clones are easier.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
da
The Headline is so good I immediately bought the last pack on the site. Each was a fem 10-pack with 13-15 beans. I got the NL5 Haze cross by mistake but that was made good so now I have both. I have smoked almost all of the first Headline, treasuring those last two tops but I'll smoke them before they get too old. I have the one in mid flower that I let get a little bigger before flip. I was debating taking a flower clone off her, but dropped a few more beans instead. Veg clones are easier.
dagga
i've been making a few mods to my bucket cloner got a new timer to handle the short water times between longer dry time!