Post a pic

Tvanmunhen

Just some dude
Repair costs are insane now. $5k to replace a catalytic converter is just fucking crazy.
I agree! It makes me want to vomit. Technically it's only $4,000 for the catalytic converter replacement in addition to the original $1,000 charge to repair the smog pipes. I'm going to pay them the original $300 for diagnosis and pick up my truck. There's no way in hell I'm paying that much!

Tvanmunhen

Just some dude
Dayum T, that's turning into a pretty big and incredibly non tasty Shit Sandwich 🥪 situation. Any chance your insurance CO might cover some/all of the cost on it?
They should cover it. Going to have to get on the phone and talk to them about it. I was originally going to just pay the $1,000 out of pocket and see if they would reimburse me. Now I'm going to have to make sure they're going to reimburse me lol.

Big Terps

Growing on a dime
Some asshole tried to steal my catalytic converter a week ago off my diesel truck. They cut through the smog pipes going into the catalytic converter. I had no idea this happened and my truck just started throwing a bunch of codes. The dash lit up and said take to the dealership immediately.

I took it to the dealer because it's right down the street. They assessed it and said someone cut the smog off of the catalytic converter and that they could fix it for a $1000 Or charge me $300 for diagnosing. I called the local muffler repair they wanted $650 to fix it. I decided to go with the dealership because it still would have cost me around $1,000.

They said they could finish the work in a couple days. It has been 5 days now so I decided to call. They said, "yes sir your truck will be done by the end of today!"
View attachment 130027View attachment 130028View attachment 130029
They just called me to tell me they can't get the old fittings out of the catalytic converter. They tried heat and oil and nothing would work. They are now saying I need a new catalytic converter and the charge is going to be over $5,000.

I asked them if they could just drill them out and then tap the threads. They said no because it's a flared tube seat and that it would leak. Well... Fuck I need to smoke and calm down a minute. I wish I could just straight pipe my diesel and pass smog. 🤣
Dam man that sucks!
Did it happen at your house?
Probably fuckn meth headed zombies imo.
The shit that goes on these days is sickening..
I'm glad we here in armpit of country in Midwest don't gotta worry passing emissions testing..
Hell my little puddle jumper work car Mazda has just straight pipe..lol sounds like a pissed off weed eater.. lol
Thankfully, it's just a work car and it gets 30 mpg..
Sorry for the bad luck.. hope things get fixed.. Nothing worse than a fuckn theif imo..

Last edited:

Tvanmunhen

Just some dude
Dam man that sucks!
Did it happen at your house?
Probably fuckn meth headed zombies imo.
The shit that goes on these days is sickening..
I'm glad we here in armpit of country in Midwest don't gotta worry passing emissions testing..
Hell my little puddle jumper work car Mazda has just straight pipe..lol sounds like a pissed off weed eater.. lol
Thankfully, it's just a work car and it gets 30 mpg..
Sorry for the bad luck.. hope things get fixed.. Nothing worse than fuckn theif imo..
Pissed off weed eater sounds fun! I was born and raised in Oregon where if you had seatbelts and turn signals you're good to go lol. I miss that.

Yes it happened in my driveway. I'm sure it was some methhead or crackhead. Unfortunately thieving is a popular crime these days. I'm sitting here thinking if only there was a way to take the thieves fingers with a booby trap. I feel like if they are stupid enough to crawl under my truck and put their hands up there then they should lose em haha.

Joebud

Insanely Active Member
Pissed off weed eater sounds fun! I was born and raised in Oregon where if you had seatbelts and turn signals you're good to go lol. I miss that.

Yes it happened in my driveway. I'm sure it was some methhead or crackhead. Unfortunately thieving is a popular crime these days. I'm sitting here thinking if only there was a way to take the thieves fingers with a booby trap. I feel like if they are stupid enough to crawl under my truck and put their hands up there then they should lose em haha.
I think the dealership employees cut the tubing to make you believe it was catalytic converter thieves. Knowing you would bring it in for a quick $300 or $5000.

Tvanmunhen

Just some dude
I think the dealership employees cut the tubing to make you believe it was catalytic converter thieves. Knowing you would bring it in for a quick $300 or $5000.
I thought that myself. I normally don't take my truck to the dealership. I have a diesel mechanic but he's not local. I do my oil changes and maintenance.

The truck was idling odd and the code that it was showing was not specific. When I looked it up for my particular model it could have been the intercooler for the turbo. I did not want to burn up the turbo by driving too far. The dealership was literally 4 miles away so I went for it. NEVER AGAIN!!

I should have just towed it out out of town to the diesel mechanic.